Radon is a gas that is very common, it is found all over the world and in almost any given area. This means that radon is also found in a lot of homes.
So, why is getting a radon test important? Well, radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas – that is extremely harmful to a person’s health when it is found in concentrated levels.
Here are some reasons why getting a radon test is important.
Radon is Undetectable
Unless you have specialized radon testing equipment, there is no way to know whether or not radon is present in your home.
The only way that you would know if you have radon in your home is if you become seriously ill, and this is not the way that you want to find out.
Radon is undetectable to humans because it is:
- Comes from the earth’s crust
- Can dissolve into water & be released into the atmosphere when the water is released, such as when showers or faucets are turned on
Radon is Dangerous
First – radon is a naturally occurring gas that is produced as a byproduct of the breakdown of uranium in the earth’s crust. Therefore, when it is able to dissipate freely into open air, it disperses and is not dangerous.
However, when radon gas is produced in the earth’s crust and is not able to escape, because it is trapped by a structure that has been built over it (usually a home’s foundation or a basement made out of cement) the gas cannot escape into the air. Therefore, the gas will then dissolve into whatever material is blocking it and try to escape through that material.
This is how radon can get into a home, by seeping through the foundation. When this happens, the radon gas can build up within the air of the home’s basement, because the enclosed walls do not allow it to escape.
Get a Radon Test
Ultimately, radon is easy to fix! If you get a radon test and find that your home has radon levels, then the solution is simple and effective! You can have a radon mitigation system installed in your home, which will funnel the gas out from under your home and to the outside air, letting it escape and dissipate!
However, if you choose to not get a radon test, you are running a high risk of having toxic levels in your home and not knowing.
So, get a radon test! It is better to be safe than sorry, and if the test finds that your home is not affected by radon, then you will have peace of mind that you and your family are safe.